where is net.inet.udp.sendspace?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun Feb 6 13:53:20 PST 2005

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 07:54:15AM -0500, Michael R. Hines wrote:

> On my 5.3-RELEASE system,   sysctl -a | grep net | grep space gives:
>
> net.local.stream.sendspace: 8192
> net.local.stream.recvspace: 8192
> net.local.dgram.recvspace: 4096
> net.inet.tcp.sendspace: 32768
> net.inet.tcp.recvspace: 65536
> net.inet.udp.recvspace: 42080
> net.inet.raw.recvspace: 8192
>
> Where is udp.sendspace?
>
> I'm having some UDP "No buffer space available" problems, but the precise
> sysctl variable corresponding to the problem doesn't seem to exist.
>
> Anyone else have this mysterious problem?

UDP is not buffered in the kernel like TCP is, so a sendspace sysctl
is not possible.  When the interface queue becomes full (i.e. you are
sending data to the interface at a greater rate than it can put it on
the wire), you will see this error message, and your application needs
to be able to handle it.

Kris