wireless usb not recognized

John john at starfire.mn.org
Sun Feb 6 12:26:58 PST 2005

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 12:22:40PM -0800, grinny wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I have an "wireless steno MB112" from Apacer. This is a little usb memory stick
> (512MB) and wireless lan card. Does anybody know (or knows how I can find out)
> if this wireless card is supported? The card uses a 'Prism2' chipset.
> When I plug it in, bsd tells me the following:
>
> umass0: YOUR_COMPANY YOUR_PRODUCT, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 3
> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <USB-DISK FREEDIK-LWFORMAT 2.23> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
> da0: 252MB (517056 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 252C)
> da1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 1
> da1: <USB-DISK FREEDIK-LWFORMAT 2.23> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> da1: 1.000MB/s transfers
> da1: 1MB (3776 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 1C)
> ugen0: vendor 0x0967 product 0x0204, rev 1.10/1.32, addr 4
>
> It doesn't mention the wireless functionality, I can't seem to mount the memory
> stick and ifconfig doesn't list the wireless card.
> I thought FreeBSD would support the card since OpenBSD lists it as supported and
> I thought the two weren't that different. So should I just switch to OpenBSD or
> can I get it to work with FreeBSD?
>
> - - Grinny -
>
> ps.
>
> I'm a newbie on FreeBSD

Don't forget that, while a memory stick could be formatted with ANYONE's
filesystem format (including the FreeBSD UFS or UFS2), they are always
CONVENTIONALLY formatted with a FAT filesystem.  Therefore, you will
need to mount them as
mount -t nfs /dev/da0s1 /some-mount-point
mount -t nfs /dev/da1s1 /some-other-mount-point

where you've already got the directories for the mountpoints created.

OK, folks - it is time to add something to the FAQ or the handbook
about USB memory being formatted as FAT!

I'll write something if someone will suggest the correct "location".

As for the wireless - well, I haven't tried that with USB - can't
help you there - except to say that the PRISM chipset is support
for PCMCIA.
--

John Lind
john at starfire.MN.ORG