Sendmail rejects incoming messages with large number of 'received' headers

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Sun Feb 6 10:43:25 PST 2005

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 09:42:21PM +1030, Wayne Sierke wrote:
> My FreeBSD mail server includes a getmail/sendmail/maildrop combination
> which occasionally fails when getmail retrieves a message via POP which
> has a large number of 'received' headers which result in it being
> rejected by sendmail. Is there some way of convincing sendmail to accept
> these messages, other than arbitrarily increasing MaxHopCount?

Not really. All MTA have a MaxHopCount feature to prevent mail-looping
due to misconfiguration. You won't appreciate it until you've have
thousands of emails bouncing between 2 servers due to a
misconfiguration.

Your best bet is to up your MaxHopCount to some reasonably large
number to cover your situation, eg: 100?

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>