Leaving a Computer Running ?

Xian ian at codepad.net
Sun Feb 6 07:09:37 PST 2005

On Sunday 06 February 2005 14:01, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> > TM> For PC's left on for long periods, they have a different problem
> > TM> because disk drives that spin at full speed continuiously (as
> > TM> server drives do, servers have power saving disabled on their
> > TM> drives of course for obvious reasons) the disk will eventually
> > TM> overheat in just about all the garden-variety case designs.
> > TM> (you can fix this yourself of course, by adding more fans to
> > TM> the cases)  Once the drive overheats the lubrication migrates
> > TM> out of the bearings and if the drive is turned off for more
> > TM> than 6-8 hours, it cools down enough to the point that the drive
> > TM> will never spin up again.
> >
> > Interesting!  Have you actually had this happen?
>
> Yes, about 6 times over the last 10 years.  All of it was crap small
> minitowers or otherwise airflow-restricted cases that let the drive
> heat up too hot to touch.
>
> Sometimes hitting it with a hammer - hard - right when you apply power
> will get them going again.

I guess old SCSI drives are built better than modern IDE.

I have an archaic thing thing running a small web server and it is built a
damn site better than most other computers I've seen. It has and old SCSI
drive that's built like a brick.

--
/Xian

"The only real valuable thing is intuition."
Albert Einstein