Leaving a Computer Running ?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 5 17:30:06 PST 2005

On Saturday,  5 February 2005 at 17:45:25 -0500, Peterhin wrote:

> Is it better to leave a computer (a stand alone) running continuously or
> is it OK to shut it down at the end of the day.?
> I remember years ago someone mentioned that it is better for the
> circuitry to leave it running.
> Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

I won't jump in on the bikeshed about the effects on the electronics.
A thing that nobody has mentioned so far is that by default, the
system performs a number of functions (via cron) in the middle of the
night.  If you turn it off, you should check /etc/crontab and decide
when to perform the nightly maintenance.

Greg