Network tuning and port allocation

Peter Yandell Peter.Yandell at IntelliGuardit.net
Sat Feb 5 13:53:40 PST 2005

Is there a simple way to check the proportion of available TCP ports
currently in use for a particular address on a particular interface?

I'm testing some networking gear, and am using a few tools to generate
large amounts of network traffic. One of the tuning issues in doing
this is ensuring that enough TCP port numbers are available to support
all the connections I want to make.

For most network tuning issues, there's a way to make a measurement and
a way to make an adjustment. For example, I can check the mbuf usage
using "netstat -m" and adjust my nmbclusters accordingly.

For TCP port usage I can make the adjustment through
net.inet.ip.portrange.*, or by assigning more addresses to an interface
and distributing traffic across them, but how do I measure the problem
in the first place? At the moment, if I haven't got enough ports
available, I usually discover it by noticing a slowdown in traffic and
then eliminating all the other potential problems, or by just
allocating more ports and seeing if it makes a difference. I'm hoping
there's a better way.

Cheers,

Pete Yandell