trouble mounting partition on hard drive

Brian John brianjohn at fusemail.com
Sat Feb 5 12:39:26 PST 2005

Hello, I am unable to mount one of my ntfs partitions.  When I try to
mount it I get this:

# mount /hd2_4
fstab: /etc/fstab:12: Inappropriate file type or format
fstab: /etc/fstab:12: Inappropriate file type or format
mount: /hd2_4: unknown special file or file system

Here is my fstab file:
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/ad0s1              /windows        ntfs    ro              2       0
/dev/ad0s2b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad0s2a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ad0s2e             /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s2f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s2d             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s3              /shared         msdosfs rw              0       0
/dev/ad1s1              /hd2_1          msdosfs rw,noauto       0       0
/dev/ad1s5              /hd2_2          ntfs    ro,noauto       2       0
/dev/ad1s6              /hd2_3          ntfs    ro,noauto       2       0
/dev/ad1s7              /hd2_4          ntfs    ro.noauto       0       0
/dev/ad1s8              /hd2_5          ntfs    ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/acd0               /dvd            cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/acd1               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/fd0                /floppy         msdosfs rw,noauto       0       0

If I put a little 'xx,' before 'ro' on the /dev/ad1s7 line, then I get
# mount /hd2_4
mount: /hd2_4: unknown special file or file system

A little bit better, but it still doesn't work.  I can mount my other
ntfs partitions on that drive just fine.  I've tried playing around with
fstab quite a bit, but to no avail.  Any clue how I can get this drive
to mount?  One thing that my be worth noting is that I have hidden and
unhidden this particular partition before using partition magic in
windows, could that have anything to do with it?

Thanks

/Brian