Can't ssh to server

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Sat Feb 5 11:17:52 PST 2005

Doug Van Allen wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD 5.3 and I'm trying to connect to it from school
> using ssh.  At school, I get connection refused.  I checked the
> auth.log and found:
>
> Feb 3 21:23:05 FreeBSD sshd[44237]: twist xxxxx.xxxx.edu to /bin/echo
> "You are not welcome to use sshd from xxxxx.xxxx.edu."
>
> I ran tcpdmatch and got:
>
> $ tcpdmatch sshd bt20510.hvcc.edu
> warning: sshd: no such process name in /etc/inetd.conf
> client:   hostname bt20510.hvcc.edu
> client:   address  151.103.21.131
> server:   process  sshd
> matched:  /etc/hosts.allow line 91
> option:   severity auth.info
> option:   twist /bin/echo "You are not welcome to use sshd from
> bt20510.hvcc.edu."
>
> I have made changes to hosts.allow to only allow my local network and
> the ip's of the workstations from school.  I am running PF and only
> allowed the same rules.  So what gives?

What gives? You... Learn how to use PF and its rules. Learn to ensure
that you have the proper ports open. Learn to allow certain IP's,
ranges, classes, etc.

I hate users that come off like ... Hey, I did all this, why dont THIS
work.

Well yanno what - it's the user that can't configure the product. If ya
did, you wouldnt be posting...

So - do yourself a favor... READ before you ask.

--
Best regards,
Chris

If facts do not conform to the theory,