tinderbox ?

Tom Huppi thuppi at huppi.com
Fri Feb 4 14:01:19 PST 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Isaac Yonemoto wrote:

> A tinderbox is a server dedicated to compiling (or "burning") the latest
> edition of software into binaries, usually for an operating system.

I think it fair to say that in it's most useful form, a
'tinderbox' would be set up to build the latest code of a product
or project (often continuously), and also running as many tests on
the results as practical.  In my experiences implementing one, I
never achieved the second goal.  The idea behind a 'tinderbox' is,
I believe, almost universally to identify regressions of one sort
or another as efficiently as possible (from a man-power
perspective), and in as timely a manner as possible.

Thanks,

 - Tom