stack size limits

Isaac Yonemoto ityonemo at scripps.edu
Fri Feb 4 11:49:35 PST 2005

I'm trying to adjust the stack size limit on my computer.  I'm not exactly
sure what to do.  Here's what I've tried:

ulimit -s (size) 		in bash
unlimit stacksize unlimited	in csh

options MAXSSIZE=(size)         in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/KERNELNAME;
  make buildkernel
  make installkernel

stacksize=infinity              in /etc/login.conf;
  cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf

kern.stacksize=(size)           in /etc/sysctl.conf

but despite all these efforts, doing ulimit -a still seems to show the
default 64M limit.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should
have done/should do to increase the size users are allowed to have?

Thanks in advance
Isaac Yonemoto
The Scripps Research Institute