couldn't start KDE.

BSD Mail bsdmail at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 00:18:38 PST 2005

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:47:53 +0000, nbco <nbco at screaming.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 03 February 2005 09:04, BSD Mail wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:48:13 -0800, Kent Stewart <kstewart at owt.com>
> wrote:
> > > On Wednesday 02 February 2005 11:28 pm, BSD Mail wrote:
> <snip>
> > > Did you see the error message about /tmp/.ICE-unix. Check the
> > > ownership.
> > >
> > > Kent
> >
> > Sorry I forgot to mention that this is the second thing I tried
> > actually. I noticed the permissions for 3 other directory and the
> > .ICE-unix under /'tmp as root:wheel I ran chown -R user:user on them
> > it got rid of most the errors but still, I was getting an error about
> > that .ICE-unix directory. the third thing I did is I rm -rf
> > everything under /tmp and started kde again. Less errors and still
> > showing the .ICE-unix error and my previous attachment was the least
> > error I was able to get.
> <snip>
>
> Hi,
> In relaton to the .ICE_unix directory, UPDATING deals with it in part
> (see below).   I like having clear_tmp_enable="YES" so to avoid this
> problem, I created the directory /etc/rc.local with the following line:
>
> mkdir -p -m 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix
>
> This means that I can still clear out my tmp directories automatically
> on reboot and maintain the ICE-unix permissions.
> I hope this helps
> .nbco
>
> 20041229:
> AFFECTS: users of x11/kdebase3, x11-servers/xorg-server
> AUTHOR: lofi at freebsd.org
> If KDE does not start anymore after upgrading Xorg to version 6.8.1
> (X restarts when the KDE splash screen has reached the third icon),
> please check whether the directory /tmp/.ICE-unix exists, is owned by
> root and has permissions 1777 (read/write/access for everybody + sticky
> bit).
>
> To make sure everything is in working order, do (as root):
> mkdir -p /tmp/.ICE-unix && chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix &&
> chown root:wheel /tmp/.ICE-unix
>
> Also, make sure you do NOT have clear_tmp_enable="YES" set
> in /etc/rc.conf,
> as it will remove the directory on every reboot and applications will
> re-create it with the wrong ownership.
>
> Users of daily_clean_tmps_enable in /etc/periodic.conf should make sure
> daily_clean_tmps_ignore contains /tmp/.ICE-unix.

Thanks very much that did help. I'm able to start KDE, and no more
error pop-ups. There is only one small thing what would make my day.
Under Control Center ---> Peripherals ---> Display I'm only able to
run 640x480 @ 60 Hz I can't change those values. As I mentioned before
I failed to use the Modes directive in xorg.conf  The video card is
GeForce4 440 Go and I'm using the "nv" driver. I'm attaching my
xorg.conf file. You won't see the Modes directive anywhere because if
added kde or blackbox will fail to start.

Thanks again, have a good day.

--
Regards,