ssh default security risc

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Feb 3 22:54:29 PST 2005

I think I'm going to interject a few things here to this discussion,
which has turned into a rediculous religious argument.

In answer to your question about a 1-step procedure safer than the
second,
well as a matter of fact there are circumstances when it is.  For
example:

1) When the ssh install that permits root login is using ipfw or tcp
wrappers
to restrict incoming ssh to a defined IP address, compared to a ssh
installation
that doesen't permit root login that allows incoming ssh from any IP in
the
world.

2) When the ssh install that permits root login is using an authorized
keys
file that only permits the root user to ssh in from a host defined with a
canonical name, compared to a ssh installation that disallows root login
and
doesen't restrict by hostname for ordinary users.

3)  When the ssh install that permits root login has a /root/.ssh/rc that
specifies
a specific command that exits and closes the session after being run, and
blocks all ordinary users from sshing in, compared to a ssh installation
that doesen't permit root login that allows ordinary users to spawn a
shell.

Now, these are just 3 examples I can think of off the top of my head.
And I'm
sure your going to squawk dirty pool, and claim that you wern't meaning
these
'spechel cases' that are exceptions, excuse, excuse, excuse.

The point is that making blanket inferences like your doing, such as that
disabling root ssh is always more safer than allowing it, is very risky.
There
are -very few- instances in computer security where a blanket statement
always applies.  Each scenario must be analysed independently, with an
eye
to -every possible vector- that an attacker can take.

I repeatedly see lots and lots of times on this list people bragging
about
constructing these byzantine security blankets for remote access to their
servers, and at the same time bragging about being too much a cheapskate
bother paying the few bucks a month to their ISP to get a static IP
assignment for their clients, as if the entire paradigm of access list
restrictions somehow doesen't exist.  Not to mention that even without a
static IP assigned
to your home or other locations that you normally ssh in from, it's
pretty
simple to block off huge chunks of the Internet, particularly blocks
assigned
to Red China, where a huge amount of cracking and spamming originates
from.

Well let me tell you this, if your idea of securing your machine is to
follow a few axioms that you picked up here and there, then good luck.
The day that the thief makes off with your laptop/desktop/whatever that
you left behind a door that you accidentally forgot to lock, or the
joker down the hall gets the worn out backup tape out of your garbage
that
you didn't bother to erase, or the cracker installs a remote control
program
with a keyboard logger on that Windows box in the lab that you run Putty
on every once in a while to get into your own systems, you are
going to come to the sudden realization that you really didn't know
anything
about what you were thinking.

Ted