Prope or probing aound card?

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Thu Feb 3 17:31:03 PST 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 12:57:51AM +0100, Joachim Dagerot wrote:

> I have a dell latitude cp[somrthing] 550 or 500.  (laptop)
>
> It has a sound device ofcourse, but I can't figure out how to find out which module to load. Some OS has a probe function, but I can't find that in my 5.3 install.

FreeBSD has all the same probing functions any modern PC has, but some
old hardware can't be autoprobed, and other hardware may just not have a
driver that knows about them.  For example, my clie using usb is plug in
play, but freebsd

If it's a PCI card then pciconf -vl will be able to reveal it.  If it's
a little (lot?) older and is ISA, then it might support ISA plug and play.
In linux I used isapnptools and it could autodetect some sound cards.  I'm
not sure what the freebsd equivalent is.  For non-plug in play ISA
cards, there is no could way to autoprobe their hardware, but guess and
check sometimes works.  I'd try sound blaster, snd_sbc, for old ISA
computers.  When guess and check, make sure your only loading isa-style
drivers, there's no point if it's a pci driver.