xhost +localhost

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Thu Feb 3 14:54:10 PST 2005

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 06:58:33PM +0100, Gert Cuykens wrote:
> i want a screensaver but the ....... xscreensaver daemon wont start
> complaining about acces controle. I did xhost +localhost but it still
> wont start :(

Adding localhost will allow all programs running on localhost to
connect to the server though TCP to the X server, but local programs
usually use something called unix domain sockets to access services
locally as it's faster than going through TCP sockets.  Unix domain
sockets are special files on the harddrive.  For display :0, the file is
/tmp/.X11-unix/X0.  If you set DISPLAY to localhost:0 instead of :0,
then whatever programs try to access X will connect to localhost on port
6000 + 0, instead of the X0 file in /tmp/.X11-unix.  If you can change
the DISPLAY environment variable for xscreensaver then xhost +localhost
will work.  The better solution would be to make use the .Xauthority
file is setup correctly instead of using xhost +localhost.  This usually
happens automatically, unless your trying to do something very
non-standard.  Try setting the variable XAUTHORITY to
/home/username/.Xauthority.