Strange problem with ftpd and IE

Totem totem-lists at totem.is-a-geek.com
Thu Feb 3 12:37:18 PST 2005

Hello,

I have a strange problem with the ftpd on FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p5.  I am
launching the server as a daemon with this command:

/usr/libexec/ftpd -AllrD4

Everything works fine except for when using Internet Explorer as an FTP
client.  I've tested with Mozilla and Filezilla with no problems, but IE
isn't working.  With IE the names of directories and files get
concatenated with their properties.  This makes the ftp server unusable
because browsing the directory fails.

This is what my file structure looks like using the ftp client in FreeBSD:

# ftp ftp.mydomain.com
Connected to server.mydomain.com.
220 server.mydomain.com FTP server (Version 6.00LS) ready.
Name (ftp.mydomain.com:totem): ftp
331 Guest login ok, send your email address as password.
Password:
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||61273|)
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
total 14
drwxrwxr-x    4 Administrator  IT Department   512 Feb  2 19:09 Cisco
drwxrwxr-x    6 Administrator  IT Department   512 Feb  2 00:30 FreeBSD
drwxrwxr-x    3 Administrator  IT Department   512 Feb  1 23:56 Linux
lrwxr-xr-x    1 Administrator  0                14 Feb  2 19:11 Mcafee
-> Windows/Mcafee
drwxrwxr-x    8 Administrator  IT Department   512 Feb  2 19:01 OpenBSD
drwxrwxr-x   11 Administrator  IT Department   512 Feb  2 19:06 UNIX
drwxrwxr-x  101 Administrator  IT Department  2560 Feb  2 20:27 Windows
lrwxr-xr-x    1 Administrator  IT Department     1 Feb  2 20:06 pub -> .
226 Transfer complete.

This is what the directory list looks like in IE (roughly translated
into text by me):

<folder icon> "512 Feb  1 23:56 Linux"
<folder icon> "512 Feb  2 00:30 FreeBSD"
<folder icon> "512 Feb  2 19:01 OpenBSD"
<folder icon> "512 Feb  2 19:06 UNIX"
<folder icon> "512 Feb  2 19:09 Cisco"
<shortcut icon> "Mcafee"
<unkown icon> "1 Feb  2 20:06 pub"

Everything inside the quotes shows up as the directory names.  I hate
IE, but I have to support it.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a bug?  Should I recompile?
Should I just use a different ftp server?

Note: I compiled ftpd myself when I updated RELENG_5.3 on 2005-01-31.  I
wasn't using ftpd before then.

Thanks,

Totem