Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Technical Director technical at ultratrends.com
Thu Feb 3 03:46:47 PST 2005

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Do you run php database driven apps on the same server as you use to
> provide shell services?  I don't.  If the webserver is configured
> right it won't allow remote clients to read the scripts, only execute
> them.

Ted,

Shared hosting sites, in my experience anyways which I will grant doesn't
mean much, is that your ftp access gives you:

-rw-r--r-- {$your_name} {$web_group} somefile.php

where {$web_group} is a common group that everyone belongs to and other
is always readable just cause it's easier leaving the file/directory mask
as is.

Meaning that if you can cd to some other users dir you can read that file.

As well, in the case of php at least, web use of php does not require the
execute bit to be set at all, only the read bit.

Again I speak for web use php scripts.

Rob.