make switch for alternate data directory on mysql???-server install

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 01:56:23 PST 2005

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 02:13:31PM -0800, Ken Hawkins wrote:
> I know there is a switch for make install that will tell it where the
> database files will be held (mysql, test, etc...) and I thought it was;
>
> make DB_DIR=/some/other/dir install

No -- that is right. However be aware that setting DB_DIR on the make
command line has no effect at the install phase of building the port:
it only produces an effect during the configure / compile phase.

Thus if you've previously built the port without the DB_DIR setting,
you need to do a 'make clean' and then start the build from scratch.

> but this is not the case. how can i find out the switches for this and any
> other ports?

Most ports will give you a potted summary of the user-settable options
they provide during the compilation process.  Nowadays that often
comes down to poping up an OPTIONS dialog the first time you compile
the port.

The only general method for finding all of the things that you can
modify from the make command line is by reading the port Makefile and
the Makefiles in /usr/ports/Mk.  Which is not too difficult if you
understand how to write Makefiles but confusing for the uninitiated.

	   Cheers,

	   Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                      School Rd