Booting FreeBSD-5.3 from NTLDR

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh.s at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 00:08:14 PST 2005

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 16:05:06 +0000, Mark Ovens <marko at freebsd.org> wrote:
> The limitation is in NTLDR because it's M$ so is only designed for
> booting M$ OSes and the BOOTSECT file method is designed for booting DOS
> and non-NT class Windows which could only boot from the first partition
> on the first drive anyway therefore there is no need for NTLDR to
> support booting from the second, third, etc. disk using a BOOTSECT file.

Yes. I figured that yesterday after checking around. NTLDR has a
limitation of not being able to boot OSes from other disks. So no, I
dont think its a FreeBSD problem as such -- BootPart prolly modifies
the bootsectors (while extracting) to add whatever info is required to
let NTLDR boot it. :))

--
			-- Rakhesh
			   rax -at- rakhesh -dot- com