5.3 ata / atapicam issues (update)

ad5gb ad5gb at myway.com
Wed Feb 2 23:19:31 PST 2005

Greetings,

Just an update.... I pulled out the Promise adapter and connected my disk to the
primary embedded IDE controller (max speed PIO 4)  Left the atapi CDRW drive
as a SLAVE on the secondary controller.  Next, I tried ripping an audio CD with
cdda2wav, and to my surprise, it was successful.  The system did report several
messages during the ripping process, like.....

Feb  3 00:11:33 arabian kernel: ad0: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (2 retries left
) LBA=136492211
Feb  3 00:11:34 arabian kernel: ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA timed out
Feb  3 00:11:39 arabian kernel: ad0: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (2 retries left
) LBA=136414323
Feb  3 00:11:39 arabian kernel: ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA timed out
Feb  3 00:12:05 arabian kernel: ad0: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (2 retries left
) LBA=137621267
Feb  3 00:12:05 arabian kernel: ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA timed out
Feb  3 00:12:11 arabian kernel: ad0: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (2 retries left
) LBA=137543379
Feb  3 00:12:11 arabian kernel: ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA timed out

but it was successful. I disabled all ATA DMA (hw.ata.ata_dma="0"
my in loader.conf) and tried to rip the disk again.  It completed without a
single error.  Further, I was able to burn 5 CDs on the same drive at
ridiculous speeds (48X reported by cdrecord) without a single issue.

Hope this helps someone. I'm not at all sure where/what the problem is but
I'll be happy to run on the embedded controller for the time being. (while
PIO 4 != DMA 133, reliability/functionality is king!)

If there's any way I can help solve this issue.... just say how!

Kind regards

--
Randall D. DuCharme (Radio AD5GB)