buildworld error in Makefile.inc1

Glenn Sieb ges+lists at wingfoot.org
Wed Feb 2 19:26:03 PST 2005

Kris Kennaway said the following on 2/2/2005 9:14 PM:

>On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 05:59:11PM -0800, Jeffrey Bouquet wrote:
>

>>on WEDS 2-2-05, Glenn Sieb wrote (paraphrased):
>>(quoting the error):
>>error in Makefile.inc1, cannot continue...
>>
>>I ran into this problem last July doing a 5.1 > 5.2.1
>>upgrade, during each cvsup the Makefile.inc1 would be
>>re downloaded because after each cvsup, I corrected
>>the syntax   (using #edit)
>>   < 501101))
>>TO:
>>   < 501101 ))
>>in this case line 830,  in my case I think it was
>>line 137 iirc,
>>maybe someone should permanently comment that code:
>># leave a space after the releasedir checking code
>>#  number and before the closing parenth PLEASE!!!
>>

>make was fixed some time ago to not treat this as syntax error.
>
>Kris

I changed the end of line 830... and now when I do make:

# make
+for: not found
*** Error code 127

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
#

So, should this upgrade be this painful? 5.1-RELEASE-p17 isn't _that_
old.. I kind of wonder now what's going to happen when I upgrade one of
my boxes from 4.11-RELEASE to 5.3-RELEASE? :-/

Thanks in advance, everyone,
Best,
--Glenn

          ~Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759