FreeBSD 5.3, Openfiles Limit in login.conf not respected

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Feb 2 05:59:27 PST 2005

Matt Rechkemmer <tiberius at trancell.org> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 05:01:53PM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> > > What configuration file should I execute this on? login.conf?
> >
> > Yes.  Go back to /etc/login.conf and read the first few lines.
>
> Lowell, I can't thank you enough :-).  I should have RTFP in the first place.

I submitted a small change to the login.conf manual page to note
cap_mkdb more prominently...

> Now another question related to the open files proposition.  Will FreeBSD
> every provide "unlimited" file descriptors as per the default class, or will it
> simply set the maximum that it's capable of?

I'm not sure what the question means, to be honest.
Certainly FreeBSD will never provide more file descriptors than it is
capable of providing.
And there is a system-wide limit -- all of the open files in the
system have to be described in a kernel table which cannot be resized
after boot time.