keeping freebsd uptodate - doubt

martin hudec corwin at aeternal.net
Wed Feb 2 05:25:50 PST 2005

Hello,

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 05:19:36AM -0800 or thereabouts, saravanan ganapathy wrote:
> 1) Install portupgrade
> 2) Sync ports
>
>      Ports-supfile contains as
>
>     *default host=cvsup10.us.freebsd.org
>     *default base=/var/db
>     *default prefix=/usr
>     *default release=cvs tag=.
>     *default delete use-rel-suffix
>     ports-all
>
> ( or should I change tag=RELENG_5_3 )

  This tag (RELENG_5_3) is for system cvsup not for ports cvsup. In case
  of system cvsup tag=. means to get 6.0-CURRENT. For ports cvsup (which
  is what I presume you want) tag=. is correct.

> 3) portsdb -Uu
> 4) portversion -v
> 5) portupgrade -arR  { to upgrade from all the lower
> versions of applications )

  I would recommend you to use also -b switch in portupgrade (like
  -abrR) to preserve replaced version of software you are upgrading.

  	Cheers,

	Martin

--
martin hudec

   * 421 907 303 393
   * corwin at aeternal.net
   * http://www.aeternal.net

"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible
exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws."

   Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"