Cleaning Out Ports?

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Tue Feb 1 18:13:12 PST 2005

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 08:04, Christopher Illies wrote:

> Have a look at /usr/ports/sysutils/pkg_cutleaves. It is a script that
> detects and removes orphaned dependencies.

Just bear in mind that some of the leaves will be required for building other
ports. Whilst they can be safely removed, it might save time to leave them.

Personally, I think  pkg_cutleaves has it about right, anything more automated
may lead to nasty surprises. Such systems have no reliable way of knowing
whether users are making direct use of a port that was originally installed
as a dependency.