Alright, you jdk14 geeks...

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Tue Feb 1 17:14:17 PST 2005

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 05:06 pm, Nikolas Britton
<freebsd at nbritton.org> wrote:
> John wrote:
> >I finally got around my problems by manually deinstalling and
> >reinstalling all the packages that linux_base-8 depended upon.
> >
> >I have done a make install on linx_base-8 and linux-sun-jdk14
> >on the NFS server (I gave up trying to do it over NFS, though
> >that may not have been the problem).
> >
> >My poor 200Mhz machine has now been crunching for a couple of
> >HOURS on java/jdk14 (I'm glad this isn't the machine I want
> >to run it on!), but now I'm wondering...
> >
> >Once it is BUILT on the NFS system - will I be able to INSTALL
> >it on my clients?  Has anyone tried anything like this?  Is
> >this OK with the license agreement?
>
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/07/FreeBSD_Basics.html
>
> fsck the license agreement, sun can kiss my a**, but yes it's ok to
> do this as long as you do not release your package to the public, its
> ok if your using it on your personal systems or a company site.

Yeah, I guess that's better advice than my saying talk to a lawyer, as
you really don't need to do that if you're just going to install it and
not distribute it. However, as Charles mentioned, if you're going to be
distributing this to client (as in customer) machines, then the legal
implications are different. If this is internal and won't be
redistributed outside your home or office, then you don't have much to
worry about.

- jt