ports libpcap

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Tue Feb 1 12:33:53 PST 2005

--On Tuesday, February 01, 2005 02:33:07 PM -0500 Lowell Gilbert
<freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:

> Paul Schmehl <pauls at utdallas.edu> writes:
>
>> I just discovered that there is a port of libpcap.  Does anybody know
>> if it performs better than the pcap that comes with FreeBSD?
>
> Why?  Are you having problems with it?

No.  I was testing ntop and the port offers the option of installing the
ports version of libpcap, so I thought I'd ask.

> The reason there is a port at all is to support people who might be
> looking for more recent features than the version in the tree.
> At the moment, I'm not sure there are any significant differences;
> speed won't be different, though.

Thanks.  That's what I was wondering.  I read the pkg-message file and the
pkg-descr file, so I knew it had additional features, but there was no
mention of speed improvements.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas