FreeBSD router two DSL connections

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Sat Dec 31 18:38:08 PST 2005

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 03:46:50PM -0800, Danial Thom wrote:
> Ted the incompetent, wrong on all counts once
> again:
>

> --- Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at toybox.placo.com>
> wrote:

You understand the issues little yourself.  I'd recommend
getting a good book on NAT and IP routing.  With a normal
router and either static routes or a good routing protocol
setup, this would work fine, but with NAT in the mix, it's
much more difficult.  The problem is that neither ISP knows
about the network behind the NAT router, that's the basic
reason for NAT in the first place.  There are no official
addresses allocated for the computers behind so there can
be no routes to the computer behind.  NAT causes the entire
network behind the router to look like it came from the
router itself.  And since the router has a different address
for each ISP, it looks like two independent computers on the
internet.

> > >For efficiencies sake, you may argue
> > >that sending to the ISP that sent you the
> > traffic
> > >will be a "better path", but if one of your
> > pipes
> > >is saturated and the other running at 20%
> >
> > letsseenow, these are full duplex 'pipes', can
> > we have some direction this saturation is
> > taking
> > place in?  I mean, since you are at least
> > trying to
> > make a senseless explanation sound right, you
> > might
> > as well try a bit harder.
>
> Its not senseless, you just don't understand how
> the internet works, apparently. I do this for a
> living, and you just yap.

You could use a good book too.

--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: CEE1 AAE2 F66C 59B5 34CA  C415 6D35 E847 0118 A3D2