Hardware graphics

Pascal Pype pascal.pype at skynet.be
Sat Dec 31 05:00:03 PST 2005

Jon wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I need some help getting hardware graphics going. I
>built radeon.ko and drm.ko from drm cvs and loaded
>them, a quick dmesg drm says the modules are loaded.
>(drm 1.21.0 20051229) I was told on here I would need
>the r300 DRI module for my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro which I
>got from the FreeBSD Ports 'dri-6.2.20050719,1', that
>built and installed r300_dri.so. I'm using
>radeon_drv.o in my Xorg.conf file as the display
>driver, I had a look at my Xorg.conf Log file and it
>says:
>(WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering not yet supported on
>Radeon 9500 and newer
>(II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration unsupported on
>Radeon 9500/9700 and newer.
>(II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration disabled
>
>What else could be the problem?
>-- Thanks
>FreeBSD 6.0 STABLE

Hello Jon,

The message "Direct rendering not yet supported on
Radeon 9500 and newer" means the X server doesn't have
a graphics driver included that interfaces with the hardware
rendering capabilities of your video card. I recompiled my
X server so that it emulates advanced rendering capabilities
so that the xscreensaver , a screensaver that creates enhanced
3D images such as molecular structures of certain large
scale chemical compositions , renders all its images. It
means that all the rendering is now done through software
rather then hardware. The default for X servers such as
XFree86 is that software emulating is turned off on freebsd
releases. Unfortunately I don't remember precisely what I
did to turn software emulation of rendering on because it
was years ago when I did it. What I recall however , is that
the X server must be made from the ports collection.  Once
the build process starts , it must be interrupted by Ctrl-C.
In one of the makefiles that you obtain in the working directory
of the X server there is an option pertaining to software emulation
of graphics rendering. It must be turned on. Then one continues
with the classical "make" and "make install".

Kind regards, Pype Pascal.

P.S. I did this on freebsd release 4-9.