Help me

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Dec 31 01:59:51 PST 2005

Daniel A. wrote:
> On 12/30/05, Pavel Duda <element at email.cz> wrote:

>>In short :
>>release - is something you want for your production system
>>stable - is something you can use too without much worry - it should be
>>"stable" right ? :-)
>>current - is for brave people who like to spend nights to figure out
>>what the hell is going on with their system and fight with all those
>>mysterious kernel panics..

> Isn't "stable" supposed to mean that it's "feature-stable", as in
> "We've discontinued implementing new features to this kernel, and are
> fixing bugs"?

Not in FreeBSD it isn't.  You want 'Release' for that.  'Stable' is a
development branch -- for code that has been well tested in the current
branch and which is therefore something that could go into a release
candidate.  It's called 'Stable' for historical reasons and because systems
with that tag run stably -- which is a pretty damn impressive achievement
for a code branch that can see extensive modifications to whole subsystems
of the kernel.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Flat 3