One hour offset with smbfs

Gilbert Cao hika at bsdmon.com
Fri Dec 30 15:45:32 PST 2005

Hi,

I just ran into a small problem with modification time with smbfs :
My smb client machine is a FreeBSD 6.0 with GMT+1.
My smb server machine is a FreeBSD 5.4 with also GMT+1.

I have noticed a one hour offset between a file's modification time when
I `ls -l file` from the smb client machine and the same file's
modification time when I `ls -l file` from the smb server machine.
That file stands in a smb shared directory, on the smb server.

More, I have noticed this, only for a datetime like 1st April, 2005.
For a datetime like 1st December 2005, the problem does not occur.

For example,
from the smb client side, I see a modification time of
2005-04-01 00:00:00, and
from the smb server side, I see a modification time of
2005-03-31 23:00:00.

When I do a `touch -t 200504010000.00 file` from the smb server side,
I see 2005-04-01 01:00:00, from the smb client side.
When I do a `touch -t 200504010000.00 file` from the smb client side,
I see 2005-03-31 23:00:00, from the smb server side.

It seems that it is only a matter with summer time.

Anyone know if something can be done about this ?
I guess the problem is on the smbfs client side ...

Thanks in advance.

--
 (hika) Gilbert Cao