How do I get gdbserver for FreeBSD 5.4?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Dec 30 12:09:19 PST 2005

Paul Marciano <pm940 at yahoo.com> writes:

> --- Lowell Gilbert
> <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org>
> > gdbserver isn't currently ported for FreeBSD.  If
> > you really need it (as opposed to some other form of
> > remote debugging), you could probably best get
> started
> > by asking obrien for hints.
>
> Thanks for the info Lowell.
>
> What do you mean by "some other form of remove
> debugging"?
>
> What I want to do is attach gdb from a development
> machine to a process running on an remote embedded
> target (stripped binaries, no source).  I've only
> recently heard of gdbserver.  I'm happy to use an
> alternative, if one exists.

Oh; I thought you wanted to run gdbserver on *FreeBSD*.  The *client*
side is going to need a gdb agent of some sort; gdbserver might work
if the embedded machine is sufficiently Unix-like.  Otherwise, you may
need a custom gdb on your FreeBSD machine as well as a debugging agent
on the target.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/