6.0-REL && isos of distfiles

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri Dec 30 10:45:28 PST 2005

On 2005-12-30 09:25, guru at Sisis.de wrote:
> In the company, where I'm at the moment, I've an uplink to Internet of
> 2 mb, at home I've 64 kbit; so my idea was to fetch, lets say 4 CD at
> high speed, burn them and use them at home for the needed disfiles

This is where the -F option of portupgrade becomes *very* useful:

    - On the system with the fast connection, you update your /usr/ports
      tree and then run portupgrade:

          # portupgrade -a -vuN -F

    - Copy over both /usr/ports and /usr/ports/distfiles

Now updates from the disconnected system should be easy as long as you
use the same options when building the ports on the two systems (since
some of the port options may affect the number and version of distfiles
downloaded).

Another way to update systems that use similar versions of FreeBSD on
the same architecture is to use pkg_create(1) (with the -b option) to
save the packages of one system and pkg_add(1) to install them on
another.