getting sound

eoghan freebsd at redry.net
Fri Dec 30 10:04:37 PST 2005

On 30 Dec 2005, at 17:34, Mark Kane wrote:

> eoghan wrote:
>> Hello
>> I have followed the manual page here for sound setup:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-
>> setup.html
>> Im using freebsd 6.0 with generic kernel.  Im not sure what sound
>> card
>> came with my dell (its 3 years old).
>> So i did:
>> #kldload snd_emu10k1
>> #kldload snd_driver
>> then:
>> #cat /dev/sndstat
>> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
>> Installed devices:
>> pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371-B> at io 0xec40 irq 11 kld snd_es137x(1p/1r/0v
>> channels duplex default)
>> This is my first time trying to get the sound working. I try play an
>> mp3 ans dont hear anything. Perhaps using the snd_driver wont work in
>> my case...
>> Is there a way to get freeBSD to show my sound device so I can
>> load  the
>> correct module? Or is there something else im doing wrong?
>> Thanks
>> Eoghan
>
> It looks to me like the "snd_driver" did it (since it shows
> "snd_es127x"
>  loaded), but if you still are not getting any sound then check some
> things.
>
> 1) The parts list you pasted seems like it's the Creative CT5807 sound
> card. I don't see that particular model on the hardware supported
> list,
> although similar models are listed under that driver (man snd_es137x).
>
> 2) Check the volume. Type "mixer" at a shell and make sure the levels
> are up. The manpage for "mixer" should tell you how to change those
> settings if you need to.
>
> 3) Are you running KDE or artsd? On one of my machines that I set
> sound
> up on a long time ago everything was going fine (no errors, sndstat
> showed it, etc) but KDE's artsd interfered with the volume when KDE
> was
> on. So if you are in KDE then I'd say to stop the GUI and go to the
> console where artsd won't be running and then do your testing. You can
> also disable artsd but I'm not sure where as it's been a while since
> I've used KDE.
>
> 4) Are your speakers/headphones/mixer volumes up?
>
> -Mark

Thanks Mark
Im running KDE (3.4.3) and I have just gone into control center >
sound & multimedia > sound system
Here I disabled the sound system and reneabled it, which it restarted
the sound system. I then clicked the button to text sound.
Then I heard sound perfect. I then opened Noatun and tried to play an
mp3 but heard nothing. I dont know about artsd, but is this the KDE
sound system?
I tried the sound system disabled, restart Noatun but still nothing.
artsd at konsole says:
can't register Arts::MidiManager
There are already artsd objects registered, looking if they are
active...

Error: Can't add object reference (probably artsd is already running).
        If you are sure it is not already running, remove the
relevant files:

        /tmp/mcop-root/Arts_SoundServerV2
        /tmp/mcop-root/Arts_SoundServer
        /tmp/mcop-root/Arts_SimpleSoundServer
        /tmp/mcop-root/Arts_PlayObjectFactory
        /tmp/mcop-root/Arts_AudioManager

So, sound works if I test in control centre. But no sound if i try
play an mp3...
Thanks
Eoghan