Mozilla plugins broken after port upgrade

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Fri Dec 30 09:48:06 PST 2005

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Micah wrote:

> Chris Hill wrote:

[snip]

>> The specific issues are with acroread7, flash and mplayer-plugin. All
>> of these worked as plug-ins before the upgrade, but now none of them
>> do.

[snip]

> Search the list archives for "Flash Plugin in 6.0" and "Flash no longer
> displayed in Firefox".

Neither of those search terms yields any results, but you've given me
another direction to look. I searched the archives yet again, this time
on 'linuxpluginwrapper'. Found
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=751336+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2005/freebsd-questions/20051120.freebsd-questions

...based on which, I did
# ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/linux-flashplugin6/libflashplayer.so
/usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/

This fixed things partially. A visit to
http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/
shows that "regular" flash works, but not shockwave.

Still no luck with PDFs or mplayer-plugin.

Another result from my archive search was
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1310074+1313109+/usr/local/www/db/text/2005/freebsd-questions/20051120.freebsd-questions
...which revealed the existence of the WITH_PLUGINS make knob for
linuxpluginwrapper, so I did
tripel# cd /usr/ports/www/linuxpluginwrapper
tripel# make deinstall
tripel# make -DWITH_PLUGINS reinstall

...which resulted in no change.

I'm at a loss regarding the mplayer-plugin stuff. As for Acrobat, I'd
bet it has something to do with the disappearance of the path
/usr/compat/linux/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Reader/intellinux/bin, but
I don't know how that came to exist or why it no longer does.

> It's an issue with the linuxpluginwrapper port, several methods to
> make it work are described in those recent threads.

Thank you for the pointer, especially for the speed of your post.

> HTH,
> Micah

It did, a little. Thank you.

But it's still vexing that all this stuff worked fine before, and that
the upgrade seems to have broken it. I'm also curious why
"about:plugins" shows, for example, mplayer-plugin installed for a wide
variety of MIME-types, but trying to access online videos no longer
starts mplayer-plugin as it did before the upgrade.

My meta-question remains: Is this documented, and if so, where?

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]