Systat -ip 1 strange problem

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Dec 30 07:22:24 PST 2005

Mihai Tanasescu <mihai at duras.ro> writes:

> Don't know if this is the right list to post this problem, but I hope
> I'm not too far off:

If you're not sure, then this is the right list.

> I have a Compaq Proliant ML 350 machine with 3 x fxp and 2 x em
> network cards.
>
> If I issue :
>
> systat -ip 1 I see:
>
>     866056packets forwarded                0 - no checksum
>
> the same for systat -ip 2.
>
> For systat -ip 3 (and higher):
>
>     83537 packets forwarded                0 - no checksum   -   these
> are the correct figures
>

> I  really don't have the figures reported for refresh-interval = 1 or
> 2 and have just installed Freebsd 5.4 on it. (The same problem
> manifests with Freebsd 6.0 on that box).
>
> A friend of mine has a similar setup (but not a Compaq box) and
> doesn't see strange values for -ip 1 and -ip 2.
>

> Any clue on what's happening or what's causing this ?

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here.  Are you saying that if
you use a refresh interval of 1, it tells you you're getting over
800,000 packets forwarded per second, but with a longer refresh
interval, it gives you values of around 35,000 packets per second?
And that you know from some other method that the latter is correct?

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/