Harddrive size being reported incorrectly?

Travis Poppe tlp at liquidx.org
Thu Dec 29 11:02:59 PST 2005

Hello,

I've recently purchased an IDE 320GB Western Digital WD3200JB-22KFA0
harddrive for use in my FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE fileserver. The BIOS in the system
reports the drive as being a 320GB, but FreeBSD (dmesg) sees it as a 305245MB
(or 298GB drive) in two separate machines. When it has finally been formatted
for use, I get 289GB of available space.

Now, I understand that harddrive manufacturers measure things differently
(1000kbytes per gbyte rather than 1024, or something like that) than
expected, but I've been told by a few people that I should be getting around
305-312GB of available space after the drive has been formatted.

sysinstall had to adjust the drive geometry because the reported one was
'invalid'. I tried to manually specify the geometry BIOS reported, but this
too was rejected as invalid.

BIOS Geometry-CYL/HD/SECT: 65535/16/255

Am I really getting the full potential out of this drive, or is something
wrong?

Thanks,
--
Travis Poppe