6.0-REL && isos of distfiles

guru at Sisis.de guru at Sisis.de
Thu Dec 29 08:10:43 PST 2005

El día Thursday, December 29, 2005 a las 04:54:42PM +0100, Andreas Rudisch escribió:

> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:10:00 +0100, <guru at Sisis.de> wrote:
>
> >El día Thursday, December 29, 2005 a las 04:58:14PM +0200, Giorgos
> >Keramidas escribió:
> >
> >>The distfiles are the sources of the ported programs.
> >
> >I know.
> >
> >>They are
> >>not specific to a single release.  You can just copy over the
> >>distfiles from the older notebook and rebuild your ports.
> >
> >That's not true. I copied over the /usr/ports/distfiles from my
> >5.4-REL to the 6.0-REL but the ports-collection which comes with
> >6.0-REL will use other sources while doing 'make install' in
> >/usr/ports/x11/kde:
>
> Well, since 6.0 came out much after 5.4, it uses updated ports/
> packages (new features, bugfixes), so the versions of some ports
> of 6.0 will be higher than of 5.4.

Yes, that's the reason and that was what I discovered a few seconds
after fireing up 'make install' in /usr/ports/x11/kde;

to give one example: it is building KDE 3.4.2 and not 3.4.0 which was
used by 5.4-REL;

> What is the point in installing a
> new release of FreeBSD and using 'old' ports.
>
> Just install FreeBSD 6.0 and use the packages provided with the RELEASE,
> or cvsup your ports tree and do a fresh install of the ports you need.

My point was that I don't have a fast Internet link at home to fetch all
the (new) sources for the distfiles and I was looking for distfiles on
CD which match exactly the 6.0-REL ports collection requirements;

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz / Sisis Informationssysteme GmbH
ein Tochterunternehmen der OCLC PICA B.V. Leiden (NL)