Preserve date when cp over smbfs

Gilbert Cao hika at bsdmon.com
Thu Dec 29 07:52:11 PST 2005

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 12:25:58PM +0100, Gilbert Cao wrote:

> I have quickly looked into the source code of both cp and gqview, and it seems
> that cp relies on utimes(), and gqview relies on utime().

Hi,
I have finally done my little investigation when applying utime() or utimes()
to a SMB file path :

In both case, the access and modification times are preserved.
So it seems that the cp and tar utilities does not its job about
preserving times over SMB path (I still don't know why ...).

I have a source code example available, if anyone is interested.

--
 (hika) Gilbert Cao