Is there a Freebsd equivalent to this Linux header file

Ray Seals rseals at vdsi.net
Thu Dec 29 07:25:03 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 09:09 -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Dec 29), Ray Seals said:
> So plug it in and run tcpdump :)

Well, that's what I did.  When you connect the 2 ports they never show a
connection but they pass traffic.  This is because by default they are
in Mode 0.

Oh, I forgot to mention the "modes":

Mode 0: Niagara 2261 in this mode, powers up with Ethernet port 1 and
Ethernet port 2 connected together and the Intel Giga bit controller off
line. In order to set the two ports to send and receive data traffic
from Intel Giga bit MAC and function as a dual giga bit NIC card, the on
board local CPU expects to receive a heartbeat signal from the host at a
pre-programmed interval. In the event that the local CPU does not
receive the heartbeat it removed the Intel Giga bit MAC from the data
path and connects the two Ethernet ports. For detail on local on board
CPU please refer section 2.4

Mode 1: Niagara 2261 in mode 1, powers up with Ethernet port 1 and
Ethernet port 2 not connected together but operate independently similar
to dual giga bit cards. In order to bypass the Intel Giga bit controller
and short the two ports together, the local CPU expects to receive a
heartbeat from the host. For detail on local on board CPU please refer
section 2.4

Mode 2: Niagara 2261 in mode 2 functions similar to dual giga bit NIC
cards. Each port is independent of the other one. No heartbeat is
required.

So it looks like the key here is to setup a heartbeat function so they
can go "active".  I also thought about setting the card to mode 2 just
to play around with tcpdump on 2 different segments, but I could do that
with 2 gig nics I have laying on my desk.

I've contacted the manufacturer and actually have a contact person to
talk to there (via e-mail).  I'm going to ask if they are opposed to
open source development or anything like that.  There source for the
utility programs doesn't have any copy right info, etc.