Sendmail X port

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Dec 29 01:04:39 PST 2005

I think the reason is that, according to the documentation located here:

http://www.sendmail.org/sm-X/index.html

"...but it does not provide any mail content modification capabilities,
e.g., masquerading of addresses or changing (addition, removal) of
headers. Later versions will probably add such capabilities..."

"...sendmail X.0 comes with a policy mail filter library (libpmilter)
which offers similar features as libmilter known from sendmail 8,
however, without mail content modification capabilities (as mentioned
before..."

In other words, to use it, a site needs to totally chuck out all existing
configuration, all institutional knowledge and experience with the
existing sendmail.  And in additon we have to push all our e-mail
scanners
into the local delivery program.  Well I don't know about you but
we happen to use sendmail plus clamav to prefilter mail that's relayed
to icky Exchange servers for some customers, and the mail doesen't even
go through the local delivery program.  So this release would be
basically impossible to use, for us.

I don't see that Sendmail X is the successor to Sendmail 8.13  Instead
I see it as a parallel product.  And why not?  Plenty of people with
very basic mail needs have been bitching about a simplified Sendmail
in the past.  It makes sense that Sendmail Inc would try to market to
that crowd.  If your happy enough with using procmail as the local
delivery agent (and I understand most Linux distros do that) and
calling various scanners out of the procmail config, then this may
work out for you.  But I would bet that 90% of the people running
FreeBSD mailservers would not find anything compelling about this
release.

Ted