backups spanning tapes help

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Dec 27 21:45:20 PST 2005

Hi Brent,

  The BSD tar that is in FreeBSD cannot span tapes, you have to
use gtar.  (GNU tar)  the old original tar in FreeBSD was gtar,
then they renamed tar to gtar, and added in a BSD tar (that
is unencumbered code)

  man gtar should tell all you need.

  Also a note on your 8MM, 14gb compression is a salesman's
fantasy.  I think they use test files that must contain 100,000
binary 1's to get those numbers.  Your more realistic to expect
about 10GB with the tape hardware compression or even 9GB.

  Also, files like mp3's and jpgs are already compressed so
you gain nothing with hardware compression on those.

Ted