FreeBSD router two DSL connections

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Dec 27 17:26:47 PST 2005

Quoting Danial Thom <danial_thom at yahoo.com>:

> --- Danial Thom <danial_thom at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > --- Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at toybox.placo.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> > > Does it meet the test I already outlined?
> > >
> > > Download the FreeBSD iso then upload it to a
> > > remote server,
> > > with both lines connected.  Time it.
> > >
> > > Disconnect 1 line, then repeat the test.  If
> > > the time to
> > > download and upload when both DSL lines are
> > > connected is
> > > half the time it takes when 1 DSL line is
> > > connected, then
> > > your load-balancing.
> > >
> > > If not, then you are not - although if it
> > makes
> > > you feel
> > > like you haven't wasted your money claim your
> > > "per session load balancing" then I suppose
> > it
> > > would be
> > > uncharitable to make you feel bad by pointing
> > > out that
> > > this is purely a marketing term with no
> > > networking
> > > significance.
> > >
> > > Oops.
> > >
> > > Ted
> >

> > Ted seems incapable of grasping how things
> > work,
> > so I don't recommend wasting your time on
> > anything he says.
> >
> > As I stated, you cannot control how traffic
> > comes
> > into your network, so Ted's little download
> > test
> > is sure not to work. Traffic is routed to
> > whichever ISP has the best route. You can only
> > control how traffic goes OUT of your network.
> > So
> > load-balancing can only increase your upload
> > speeds, not your download speeds. If you are
> > hosting this is useful. If you have mostly
> > download traffic, then its probably not worth
> > is.
> >
> > I don't know if Ted is trying to boondoggle you
> > into thinking his view is correct, or he just
> > doesn't understand it. I suspect its a bit of
> > both.
> >
> > You should really try the freebsd-isp list, as
> > there are at least some people on there that
> > have
> > a clue. Although even Ted's resume looks good
> > on
> > paper, so you really can't tell. Incompetence
> > is
> > widespread.
> >
> > DT
>
> To sooth the nerves of the OP, the truth about
> this is that it might work and it might not.
> Ted's assertion that all ISPs do ingress address
> filtering is simply wrong.

I will concede this because of all the ISP's in the world,
chances are that there is at least 1 that is run so
incompetently, connected to a backbone network that is
also unbelievably incompetent, that they are not
filtering.

> Not even close. My
> assumption that none do isn't right either.

Finally you are admitting that antispoofing filtering is
a reality.  I am glad to see that.

However, you are wrong when you IMPLY that antispoofing
access lists are not widespread.

Anti spoof lists have a long history.  Why even as far back
as 1997 Cisco was unofficially offering to assist ISP's to
put them in, this was in response to land.c, see here:

Then in 2000, the IETF decided to codify the requirements for
this in the following RFC's:

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2827.txt

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3013.txt

We also saw then a pledge from the 9 founders of the Internet Security
Alliance (http://www.isalliance.org/) to institute antispoofing
on their networks, that article is here:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-518743.html

We also saw calls for this from SANS:

http://www.sans.org/dosstep/index.php

and that gadfly, Steve Gibson:

http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

This was 5 years ago.  Today, the practice is firmly established,
Cisco provides instructions for it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_white_paper09186a00801a
1a55.shtml

and the US Department of Homeland Security has recommended it:

http://www.dhs.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/NIAC_HardeningInternetPaper_Jan05.pdf

and yes, these are the same people that have installed the black
boxes that the NSA has used to electronically eavesdrop on the
Internet without a search warrant, as was just reported a week or
so ago in the NYT, and caused Congress to kill the extension of the
Patriot Act.  So don't think that those large networks aren't listening
to the Feds - by contrast they are actively helping the Feds to spy on
us!!!   To assert as Danial is doing that they aren't following the
Feds when the Feds tell them to anti-spoof is absurd.

> IF
> when one of your lines goes down you are still
> online then you can load-balance outbound. IF you
> are multi-homed or have a working backup
> scenario, then you can load balance outbound.

I am afraid though that none of that is useful to the
OP who wanted to know if he could shoestring load
balance to 2 different ISP's for an Internet Cafe.
Unless I am quite mistaken, Internet Cafe's are mainly
inbound bandwidth consumers.

> There is much discussion on the trade-offs of
> ingress address filtering, and many believe its
> the old "cut off your nose to spite your face".

There WAS much discussion about 5 years ago when
the Land worm hit, as I recall.  There is very little
today.  Anyone authoratative strongly recommends it,
and I know that some neworks are even now requiring
ISP customers to do it.  MANY isp's (such as the one
I work for) automatically setup ingress filters
on T1 routers that are placed -at the customer site-
as part of our setup templates.  And even the
el-cheapo DSL routers that are network address translators,
those devices won't translate traffic coming into their
LAN ports that is spoofed.  All Cisco routers in fact
when you setup NAT on them you must define the inside
subnets to be translated - they don't just accept anything
handed to them.  And that's just customer edge devices
which you technically cannot control since they aren't
in your NOC.  For inside routers in the NOC, anyone
competent has filters on them.

i think the last large network we connected to that
didn't have tight antispoof filters was MCI North
America, and they pulled out of NA a few years back.
And even then I'm pretty sure they only had holes that
allowed you to spoof addresses they already owned.

> It reduces the cpu power of your router by
> causing it to test every packet coming in,

Wrong.  The CPU power of your router is a constant.
Access lists CONSUME some of the CPU power of your router,
that is true.  However, most routers have ample CPU power
for an antispoofing access list.

It is true that a number of years ago, when antispoofing
started getting recommended, that many ISP's and networks
did in fact not have routers powerful enough to run
antispoof lists.  I've heard about ISP's back in the
dark ages even running a filtered BGP table on a Cisco 2501 !

But today there's no excuse for it.  With the prices of used
7206 VXR's now, any ISP under 10,000 customers can easily
get a router plenty powerful enough to filter for less money
than a 10 year old used car.  And as for the larger ISP's like
the Earthlinks and such, those people have lots of money and
are on upgrade schedules and by now have updated to powerful
enough routers to do antispoofing.  How do you think they
spy on us, they aren't using underpowered 2501's to do that!!!

> it
> makes multi-homing not work,

Not true, you simply adjust the access list to permit
multihoming from the customers who contact you and set it
up with you.

> and it makes
> changing addresses on a large network extremely
> more difficult, in order to thwart an unlikely
> event.

Not true either.  Many tools exist to script access
lists, for example a crude but interesting one is here:

http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/jens.hektor/security/cisco-acl.html

> I recommend that my customers isolate
> co-location customers so when worms hit they can
> find the problem easier. Few do because its
> easier to have everyone on the same wire.

You are really a piece of work.  In another thread you were railing
against corporate admins using Windows terminal server as not being
innovative because they can't do "what the real men do" and
protect their Windows desktops because it's too hard for them -
and here your defending lazy ass dumbshits who aren't even
following your own recomendations?

> My
> cable company, for example, changes their
> networking scheme every few months, and if they
> had to change ingress filters on 100s of routers
> manually it would be ridiculously difficult to
> do.

Your cable company probably has a Class B assigned from ARIN
and is almost certainly NOT changing it's aggregated network block
assigned from the numbering authority "every few months"  Like
everyone else, they can filter with a single statement permitting
the aggregated block, they do not need to break out the filtering
into every little itty-bitty route if they are that lazy that they
can't bestir themselves to use a script like what I posted the
URL to.

> So they don't address filter.

So they are stupid - why are you using them then?

> Ted is somehow in denial that 100s of people load
> balance to different destinations. Since he
> doesn't know the terms (such as round-robin, etc)
> you can be sure he's never done any of it. The
> simple truth is that you have to try things. You
> never know what your upstream is doing. DSL is a
> strange animal that requires muxes in often very
> complicated meshes. If you can move your default
> router to your "other" router then you are likely
> not filtered.

Much more likely is that you didn't bother to read the
instructions on your DSL or cable router and the things
are still translating and you don't even realize it.

If you really want to see if your provider is incompetent in
this way, you can use a tool like the following:

http://www.csm.ornl.gov/~dunigan/oci/spoof.html

That will tell you if your able to spoof.

> There are many issues more important than
> address-spoofing, such as stability and
> performance.

Neither of which your going to find on a network that
permits unfettered spoofing.  If the network is that
badly managed on a simple thing like that, it's going to
be badly managed on a lot of other things too.

> I have customers that are so
> disorganized that they can't isolate any known
> address group to any specific router, and others
> that require that you register your MAC address
> with them or nothing will work at all. You can't
> postulate what your situation is. You have to do
> testing and figure out what you can and can't do.

And you also have to know enough to know the difference
between the proper way to do something and a cheap hack
that is unsupported, and might stop working without warning.

> The more you know about how things REALLY work,
> the more innovative you can be in your
> implementation.

While I don't hold with Steve Gibson's chicken little approach
to everything, he did have a good quote (probably stolen from
somewhere else) on his site that I linked to above:

"the days of an Internet based upon mutual trust among
interconnected networks has passed"

Go ahead and be innovative all you want, but be responsible
too.  The "big boy" networks that Danial seems to be so
fond of ARE responsible, if not for purely altruistic reasons,
it is due to the threat of ending up like the AGIS network -
bankrupt because of defending spammers.  Danial, it is really
amazing you seem to think so many of them out there aren't
responsible, and it is rather incredible that you are going so
far as to advocate against being responsible - by dragging up
hoary old excuses for not anti-spoofing - if you really are
an Internet consultant, I really hope you are telling your
customers to anti-spoof filter, if you aren't you are very,
very irresponsible.

It is no wonder you don't want to put your real name on anything
your posting.

Ted