upgrade by hand

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Tue Dec 27 14:07:11 PST 2005

In all the searches I've done about upgrade from a Rel4.x to Rel6. all
the info seems to center on using cvsup and port upgrade, and using
Rel5 is an intermediate step to get to Rel6.

Maybe I just like pain, but are there any instructions for 'manually'
upgrading from 'most any prior freebsd' to latest production release?

In other words, what files MUST be backed up and restored
(master.password, etc) and what CANNOT be reused (changes to current
password/group files or other files are too much to allow an upgrade
of this type)

I'm just concerned about Freebsd base  -- I only use 3 items from the
ports collection and I don't mind rebuilding these.

(perhaps I'm stuck on the word 'upgrade' when there is a better word
for a format and reload but preserve user/group/file system mode bits
etc)

--
David Bear
phone: 	480-965-8257