Quick Install Question

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Tue Dec 27 08:38:56 PST 2005

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:13:30 -0600
"Daniel Goldberg" <dgoldberg at tarshis.com> wrote:

> Dear FreeBSD-
>
> I'm a FreeBSD 6.0 newbie and very excited.
>
> Could you please by any chance answer the following basic install
> Question?
>

> What is the order of installing FreeBSD for a dual-boot XP environment
> on a single HDD using GAG
> (ie, which do I install first, which partition for each os, is there a
> resource for this answer published somewhere anyway???)
>
> Thank you,
>
> Daniel Goldberg
>
> Daniel Franklin Goldberg

1. Install Windows first, in the first partition.  If you want FreeBSD
to be able to write to the Windows partition, use the fat32 format
instead of NTFS. Do NOT create this partition to use the entire disk
as the FreeBSD installation does not include tools to resize the
existing Windows partition.

2. See more documentation regarding FreeBSD installation at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould