FreeBSD router two DSL connections

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 27 08:00:18 PST 2005

--- Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at toybox.placo.com>
wrote:

> Does it meet the test I already outlined?
>
> Download the FreeBSD iso then upload it to a
> remote server,
> with both lines connected.  Time it.
>
> Disconnect 1 line, then repeat the test.  If
> the time to
> download and upload when both DSL lines are
> connected is
> half the time it takes when 1 DSL line is
> connected, then
> your load-balancing.
>
> If not, then you are not - although if it makes
> you feel
> like you haven't wasted your money claim your
> "per session load balancing" then I suppose it
> would be
> uncharitable to make you feel bad by pointing
> out that
> this is purely a marketing term with no
> networking
> significance.
>
> Oops.
>
> Ted

Ted seems incapable of grasping how things work,
so I don't recommend wasting your time on
anything he says.

As I stated, you cannot control how traffic comes
into your network, so Ted's little download test
is sure not to work. Traffic is routed to
whichever ISP has the best route. You can only
control how traffic goes OUT of your network. So
load-balancing can only increase your upload
speeds, not your download speeds. If you are
hosting this is useful. If you have mostly
download traffic, then its probably not worth is.

I don't know if Ted is trying to boondoggle you
into thinking his view is correct, or he just
doesn't understand it. I suspect its a bit of
both.

You should really try the freebsd-isp list, as
there are at least some people on there that have
a clue. Although even Ted's resume looks good on
paper, so you really can't tell. Incompetence is
widespread.

DT