BSD Question's.

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 26 08:24:57 PST 2005

--- dick hoogendijk <dick at nagual.st> wrote:

> On 24 Dec Kent Stewart wrote:
>
> > There is also the problem that some sites are
> designed to work with
> > Internet Explorer. You can try to visit with
> firefox but that doesn't
> > always work even with firefox on XP.
>
> NO site should be designed to work with
> IExplorer. I know it's done, but
> it should not! Why do we have W3C? If we could
> all just do things "by
> the book" the internet would be a much nicer
> place to visit.
>
> People who design for IExplorer are bad! They
> have microsoft in mind and
> _not_ the visitors. I hate it when choice gets
> violated! It should be
> called a crime against freedom.

No, you're wrong here. You're letting your
religious philosophy cloud your business sense.
You develop to service the highest percentage of
your expected viewer base. The truth is that the
vast majority of visitors to most web sites are
going to be using IE. While using unnecessary
features as a primary component of your site that
ONLY work with IE is foolish, you can't
compromise your design just so that it will work
with the 3% of religious fanatics that refuse to
install IE on thier machines. Business is about
numbers, and the numbers say that your site HAS
to work with IE, and its nice if it works with
others. I generally test with IE, Firefox and
Netscape and I don't care much about much else.

I have a friend in the travel biz who gets an
unusual amount of traffic from AOL, because most
of his customers are not computer people. His
site needs to be well tested on AOL, where I
couldn't really give a rat's behind if my
commercial site works with AOL or not. You have
to make sure your site works with the greatest
majority of browsers available that will be
accessing any given site.

Its unfortunate that MS does what they want
rather than following the standards, but in
reality the standards should follow MS, because
its really the only way to make everything work.
Much of Microsoft's "extra" stuff is pretty
useful and arguably better; its time the unix
geeks get over it and stop whining about the big
bad bully for the good of the big picture. MS
isn't going away anytime soon. The truth is that
anything MS does is a de-facto standard, whether
you like it or not.

DT