Usage/Context of PPP_(DEFLATE|BSDCOMP)

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Dec 26 07:28:26 PST 2005

Parv <parv at pair.com> writes:

> I see that PPP_FILTER kernel option is mentioned in pppd(8) man
> page.  Could somebody tell me how & where PPP_DEFLATE & PPP_BSDCOMP
> options are used, or where can i find information on them?

They are compression capabilities that can be negotiated for use with
the point-to-point protocol ("PPP").  If you need more information,
and you can't work it out on your own from the source, you'll need to
ask a more specific question.  Other than protocol developers, I
wouldn't expect anybody to need to know about that kind of option
these days.