What is the M in tar Mcvf

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Sun Dec 25 15:21:34 PST 2005

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 08:00 am, Teo De Las Heras wrote:
> I looked through the man pages and online, but I can't find
> information on what the M is for in 'tar Mcvf'.  I constantly
> see this as a way to archive / backup files.

I find it in the man pages without problems:
 -M
 --multi-volume Create/list/extract multi-volume archive

But watch out -- this is gnu-tar and on the later FreeBSD OS
(5.x+) appears as gtar (also as gtar in man pages).

For BSD tar on 5.4 I find
"There is not yet any support for multi-volume archives"

Malcolm