FreeBSD + Wine + Office 2K

Johan Spee johan.spee at wanadoo.nl
Sun Dec 25 06:48:49 PST 2005

Merry Christmas!

Although winehq.com is not altogether clear about it I get the impression from other sites that wine should be able to handle office 2000 without any problems. Some claim they have office XP and even office 2003 running on FreeBSD (http://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/~plug/mail_archive/0512/0046.html). I gave it a try with FreeBSD 6, Wine 0.9.4 and Office 2000 sp3 - unfortunately it would not even install properly. With wine in the win98 mode the installation gets stuck in 0% cpu activity, in the winXP mode it gets stuck in 100% cpu activity. Wine also does not allow me to do a 'custom' installation. A tree-structure with all the office items is shown, but it is not possible to check or uncheck any of those. As a consequence the whole suite is installed, including the 'forbidden' assistant. In win98 mode I have been able to get Word to open a file, more or less, and then had to kill wine to close the program.

Is it actually possible to run office 2000 on FreeBSD? If so, I would appreciate some tips or hints.

Thanks and Happy New Year, in advance

--
Johan Spee

http://home.wanadoo.nl/johan.spee/