BSD Question's.

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sat Dec 24 18:01:34 PST 2005

On Saturday 24 December 2005 02:57 pm, Danial Thom wrote:
> --- rod person <rodperson at adelphia.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 14:01:53 -0800 (PST)
> >
> > Danial Thom <danial_thom at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I don't expect you to care, but saying you
> > > "prefer FreeBSD" and saying "FreeBSD is
> >
> > better"
> >
> > > are different animals. I just wanted to know
> >
> > what
> >
> > > you could do with FreeBSD that you can't do
> >
> > with
> >
> > > Windows. I already know what I can do with
> > > Windows that I can't do with FreeBSD.
> >
> > I didn't see the first few emails in this
> > thread so excuse me
> > if you have answered this, but what can you do
> > on Windows
> > that you can't do on FreeBSD. Other than play
> > the latest and
> > greatest games. I'm just wondering.
>
> Schwab Streetsmart
> Accounting Software (CA)
> Quicken
> Photoshop
> Adobe Acrobat (for creating PDFs)

There are a couple of others. I use Adobe GoLive and haven't found an
equivalent. I could do some of the stuff better with a text editor but
when I use GoLive, the whole update would be finished before I was
hardly started using a text editor on FreeBSD.

There is also the problem that some sites are designed to work with
Internet Explorer. You can try to visit with firefox but that doesn't
always work even with firefox on XP. We are still running flash-6 and 7
is in the works but I think that they have already announced that it
has security problems. The fixed multimedia products are always
released on Windows and it takes a while for them to get arount to the
other OSes. You only have to look at the people recently with problems
getting plugins to work on FreeBSD. You won't have any problem getting
them to run on XP. They probably wouldn't work properly on Linux
either.

Now, I wouldn't use Outlook Express unless I was still working and the
company demanded it. I am happy using kmail and thunderbird. But I
forward some to my internal XP account because the graphics don't work
properly with my setup.

For a while, I was updating FreeBSD to add security fixes as much as I
did my Windows 2K server. Both normally run for months without being
rebooted.

The OSes usually overlap and as long as I have choices available, I
won't have to force a project onto an OS when it is really simple to
add it to the one other OSes. That is the advantage of a heterogeneous
computing environment. Projects just automagically move onto the OS
where it is easiest to work on them.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

"Nunca te acostarás sin saber una cosa más"